Top 10 Trends that are Shaking Up USA’s Grocery Market in 2020
Grocery markets are rapidly changing, as the pandemic has transformed the way groceries are bought and sold traditionally. Here are America’s top 10 grocery market trends since the COVID-19 outbreak.
- 1.America’s E-grocery sales increased by 40% since the COVID-19 outbreak in 2020, nearly double the 22% in 2019.
- 2.14% of consumers said they have started buying groceries online due to the pandemic, while 34% said they were buying more of them. (Coresight Research)
USA’s Go-to Grocery Shopping Apps
- Walmart, Instacart, Peapod, and FreshDirect are the most-widely used grocery shopping apps in the US.3.
Most Popular Product Categories
- 4.Non-perishable, canned and shelf-stable food sales went up 87%.
- 5.Pasta, oat milk, canned meat, dried beans, and tuna sales surged by 699%, 477%, 231%, and 188% respectively.
- 6.Sales of snack foods such as popcorn, pretzels, and ice cream went up by 48%, 47%, and 23%.
Retailers Go Big on Multi-Channel
- Apart from introducing online buying platforms, grocery retailers across the US are offering Buy Online Pick-Up in Store (BOPIS), Click & Collect, curbside pick-up, and Grab & Go options.7.
Grocery Subscription Programs
- 8.Grocery retailers are monetizing their convenience seeking consumers, by converting 30-40% of their consumers to subscription programs.
Cashless & Contactless Shopping Options
- Retailers have expanded contactless approaches to check out such as Scan & Pay in stores, as well as no-contact delivery practices.9.
Convenient Delivery Time-Slots
- 10.39% of consumers prefer a retailer based on whether they have a grocery pickup or delivery time slot available in their desired window.